Sunday, March 15, 2015

Executive Function: Reducing Cognitive Load

I do a lot to reduce cognitive load during the day in the classroom. My students struggle with many executive functions do to their disabilities. I try to reduce cognitive load in class in many ways. towards the end of the week I could tell they were really having trouble focusing. If the weather is good I like to take them outside for about fifteen minuets before I start science and social studies at the end of the day. This past week was a difficult week for everyone because it rained everyday and the playground was to wet to got outside for recess.

By Friday everyone was going a little stir-crazy. So I decided to do a craft project with them that didn't was not academically related at all. It was defiantly the mindless activity we needed. The kids decorated their "hard hats" prepare them for PARCC testing next week. The students seemed to really enjoy it and even though it was a change in the schedule it was a calming activity.

After they decorated their hats we were able to start our ELA lesson and their attention and behavior definitely Improved. We usually start ELA with a picture book that I read to the class. While I read I ask simple questions about the story keep them engaged. Sometimes I will ask questions that require  them to use their critical thinking skills. When they are mentally rested they are better at answering the questions then when they aren't. After the arts and crafts brain break they were doing more critical thinking and I could see it in their work.

One thing I want to work on with my students is moving them to become more independent with their work. I'm going to try using more visual aids and simpler instruction to assist them to become more independent with their work.


2 comments:

  1. Morgan,
    It definitely sounds as if your students' pleasure centers in their brains are activated by outdoor movement (as per Zull, Chapter 4) when it is not raining. It was awesome to increase their pleasure, focus, and motivation by doing a brain break activity. I am always weary of incorporating an activity which I cannot connect to their learning whatsoever because instructional time is so limited and I want to cover as much as possible. I am not sure if you have much open space in your classroom for movement, but I was wondering if you have ever tried kinesthetic learning activities inside with your students?

    -Jamie Hipp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jamie I definitely have. Sometime is it harder to get them to move because three of my students need assistance and there is only me and my para in the class. I incorporated a lot more kinesthetic movement in my lessons when I was teaching a full class of students. Its a little different with self-contained, but not impossible.

    ReplyDelete